Signature Level 3 NVQ Certificate in BSL Part 1
Course Times: Monthly on Mondays, 10am-4pm, for 8 months
Entry Requirements: Level 2 BSL or equivalent
Teachers: Stuart Anderson, Terry Edwards and Jane Atkinson
Part 1 of the Signature Level 3 NVQ Certificate in BSL prepares students for the assessment component of the programme (Part 2).
At the end of this skills development programme students will be able to:
- understand and maintain social interaction with a BSL user
- understand and use varied BSL in a range of familiar work and social situations
- use and understand a broad range of vocabulary
- use and understand a range of grammatical forms
- be able to use reference sources
Students will receive training in participating in conversations and discussions delivered at normal speed on a range of topics in different work and social situations. Also students will participate in straightforward social interaction as well as following uncomplicated negotiations, discussions and instructions in their area of work. We will help students develop their BSL skills in understanding straightforward news items, interviews and documentaries.
There will be considerable emphasis on developing vocabulary to get straightforward messages across and to enable efficient participation in conversation with a variety of participants, using complex or abstract ideas and in finding alternative ways to get messages across.
The course will focus on the following assessment criteria (as per Signature specifications):
- information and personal opinion
- arguments in support of own views
- debate with others whose views may differ
- reason with others when persuasion is required
- response to enquiries, advice and instruction
- using a broad range of vocabulary and sentence structures
- when the language is signed clearly at normal speed
- in a range of work and social situations
The course uses a variety of teaching methods including:
- Group and pair work activities
- Role play and simulations
- Conversation and discussions
- Video , PowerPoint presentations and web-cam based communication
Participants will be awarded a Signamic Certificate and will be able to progress to BSL Level 3 Part 2 after passing a brief assessment.