Level 6 Diploma in Sign Language Translation Part 1
Course level: 6
Duration: 8 months
Times: A block of two days, once a month, 9.30am-4.30pm
Trainers: Stuart Anderson and TBC
We have structured our Translation programme so you can do it in 2 stages. Part 1 is the skills and knowledge development, to prepare you for Part 2 of the programme. Our curriculum has been developed by a team of qualified and highly experienced staff who have a comprehensive understanding of Interpreting and Translation theory, the intra-lingual process and associated translation issues. Over this 8-month course, you will see a considerable development in your knowledge of translation issues as well as a corresponding development of your translation skills.
This course provides you with theoretical knowledge and gives you the opportunity to develop your translation skills in a safe environment and obtain feedback on your work. Course content is based on the Signature qualification specification, and prepares you for the relevant Signature NVQ qualification, which consists of 5 units:
- PTra1 - Maintaining skills and systems for managing translation tasks
- PTra2 - Managing new translation assignments
- PTra3 - Translating written texts from one language into another
- PTra4 - Developing your performance as a professional translator
- E1 - Sight Translation
Regular practical sessions will be held to reinforce newly-gained knowledge and you will be given assignments to complete on a range of topics. The course is classroom based and the teaching team comprises teachers, experienced RSLTs and RSLIs as well as Deaf professionals. A variety of teaching methods are used including group and pair work activities, role play and simulations, demonstrations, discussions, PowerPoint presentations, video, conversation, practical sessions using modern technology.
- Signature Level 6 Certificate in British Sign Language.
However, we will accept those who are undertaking the assessment component of the BSL Level 6 qualification
- English skills at C1 standard (Level 6)
- Prior experience of BSL/English Translation
By the end of the Signature Level 6 Diploma in Sign Language Translation Part 1 course, you will develop knowledge and skills in the following:
- Developing and maintaining translation systems i.e. research, technology, quality assurance
- Professionalism and ethics
- Preparation and Translation theory
- Exploring translation skills
- Actual translation practice using an autocue
- Using technology
- Working with peers
- Looking after yourself as a Professional Translator
How will I be assessed?
This is a skills and knowledge development programme so there is no assessment involved, although you will receive continual feedback on the development of your skills.
Are there any additional costs or is specialist equipment required?
- The IDP process - see below in course costs.
The IDP Process
In order to be able to register with NRCPD as a Trainee Sign Language Interpreter (TSLI), or Trainee Sign Language Translator (TSLT), you need to undertake the IDP process, for more details go to the blue box above.
What can I do after the course?
This course is suitable for someone who is working towards the Translation qualification. Please note that enrolling on this course does not necessarily qualify someone to register with the NRCPD as a Trainee Translator (TSLT).
Course Cost: £1,900 + VAT and IDP registration and supervision £384 (An initial 3 hour assessment, plus 3 supervisions, each lasting 1 hour, every 3 months)